- Mission & Vision
- Our History
Illinois Valley Community Hospital (IVCH) and its predecessors—St. Mary’s Hospital and Peoples Hospital—have a history of caring for the people of the Illinois Valley that goes back more than 100 years. Here’s a look at the IVCH timeline.
1887—St. Mary’s Hospital in LaSalle founded by the Sisters of the Franciscan Order of the Sacred Heart.
1914—Peoples Hospital opens in Peru. F. W. Matthiessen opens the Hygienic Institute in LaSalle.
1940—Construction of northeast wing to Peoples Hospital, adding 12 rooms.
1957—Northeast addition, new entrance, lobby and reception area added to Peoples Hospital.
1975—Merger of St. Mary’s Hospital and Peoples Hospital announced as Illinois Valley Community Hospital is formed.
1979—New 80-bed wing is dedicated in Peru. The St. Mary’s building in LaSalle is closed.
1986—IVCH medical office building opens across from the hospital on West Street.
1992—Illinois Valley Adult Day Center, an IVCH affiliate, opens in LaSalle.
1994–95—Second story added to medical building, parking garage constructed, and skybridge connecting the garage/office complex to IVCH erected.
1996—Hygienic Institute enters into an affiliation agreement with IVCH.
1998—Hygienic Institute moves from the LaSalle building it had occupied since 1914 into a new structure on North Chartres Street.
2000—Women’s Health Care Center added to IVCH campus.
2003—East Addition project completed and opened, adding a new emergency department, surgery area and admitting area to IVCH.
2004—Special procedures unit opens.
2006—IVCH Center for Physical Rehabilitation and Aquatics opens in the Miller Building at the Illinois Valley YMCA in Peru.
2011—$15.9 million construction project completed as third floor is added to East Addition, where new obstetrics and intensive care units are opened.