What is urology?
A stigma has long been associated with the word “urology,” assuming urological problems only affect men or the older population. It’s a subject that has long been kept hush, hush out of embarrassment, ignorance and fear. However, urological problems can affect anyone: men, women and children, both young and old.
Urology is a specialty that deals with diseases of the male and female urinary tract and the male reproductive system. It covers problems affecting everything from the kidneys to the urinary opening.
IVCH has partnered with a talented team of doctors through Illinois Urologic Health Surgeons to try and shed light and awareness on the importance of treating urological issues. Doctors Chris Schwartz and Steve Chung are providing high-level medical expertise with hometown comfort and care.
- More than 1.3 million children visit doctors’ offices for urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- UTIs in adult females result in over 5 million doctor visits every year.
- Males only report 2.3 million UTI visits because they are half as likely to go to the doctor.
- More than 230,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2014 and 2.5 million men in the U.S. are recognized prostate cancer survivors.
- Approximately 500,000 men will have a vasectomy this year.
When do I need to see a urologist?
Oftentimes, urological problems will be minimized or ignored, but most conditions are treatable through medication, exercise or surgery. Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Chung encourage you to make an appointment if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms or have concerns regarding:
- Difficulty with urination as a male through incontinence issues or painful urination
- Incontinence in women, often prevalent after childbirth
- Blood in your urine
- Children’s bedwetting
- Kidney stones
- Erectile dysfunction
- Urinary tract infections
- Male infertility
- Cancer related to the kidney, bladder, prostate, penis and testicles
- Adult Day Center
- Calcium Heart Scan
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Family Home Medical Equipment
- Pastoral Care
- Sleep Medicine Clinic
- Valley Regional Cancer Center
- Return to Service Directory