- Women's Health Overview
- Women's Health Care Center
- IVCH Midwives
- Obstetrics Unit
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Water Births
- Return to Service Directory
- Providers specializing in obstetrics and gynecology
- Register for prenatal classes
- Pregnancy topic center
- Reproductive health topic center
- Women's health topic center
- Subscribe to our pregnancy
- Subscribe to our new parent
Interact: Health Tools
Our beautiful, spacious, modern setting makes you feel right at home.
Everything You Want, in One Convenient Place
The Obstetrics Unit at IVCH is thoughtfully designed and fully equipped to provide comprehensive services in a family-centered environment.
The unit contains three labor/delivery suites as well as six postpartum suites. Each large, private suite features fresh, updated décor; an oversized bathroom with a shower/tub; a mini refrigerator for your personal use; a phone; a TV with a built-in DVD player; and a couch that converts to a bed so your partner or coach can stay overnight.
The nursery is roomy, well-equipped and cheerfully decorated. A medical examination room is included, so that physicians can perform on-the-spot exams, treatments and procedures. It also features an infant security system and closed-circuit cameras that allow for continuous monitoring, ensuring your peace of mind. Plus, the entire unit is locked 24 hours a day, so only medical personnel, patients, and invited family members and guests have access.
A large surgical suite integrated in the unit is highlighted by state-of-the-art anesthesia and surgical equipment and technology, including a cutting-edge fetal monitoring system that communicates critical data to your labor and delivery team.
A Professional Team to Ensure Your Comfort and Well-Being
IVCH offers a highly skilled, extensively trained OB team to assist and care for you through each step of your pregnancy and birthing process.
Our nursing staff is comprised of friendly, supportive individuals who are dedicated to attending to the unique needs of mothers-to-be. When paired with our advanced call-light system and the addition of two separate nurses’ stations – one near the LDR suites and one near the postpartum suites – you can be confident nursing care is always close at hand. The IVCH OB nursing staff also includes:
- A registered nurse certified in advanced fetal heart rate monitoring
- A registered nurse certified in infant massage
- Neonatal resuscitation instructors
- Childbirth educators
- A certified lactation consultant (available if you choose to breastfeed)
- A CPR instructor
- A certified car seat safety technician
Many physicians and midwives also attend to our patients. In fact, you can select your preference of a board-certified obstetrician, certified nurse midwife or family practice physician for your prenatal, childbirth and postpartum care.
- Obstetricians/gynecologists: Shyrlena Bogard, MD, Jeffrey Edwards, MD and Mitchell Khan, DO.
- Certified nurse midwives: Pamela Koehler, CNM, Elizabeth Birkey, CNM, Heather Miller, CNM and Angela Reidner, CNM
- Family practice physicians: Mary Chinn, MD, and Michelle Vasquez, MD (both provide family medicine and obstetrics services)
We also are associated with local pediatricians and family practice physicians who attend to newborns. These relationships can help make the transition from an OB/GYN to a pediatrician simpler and seamless for you and your new baby.
More Great Features to Enhance Your Birthing Experience
- The spacious conference room provides the perfect environment for prenatal classes.
- The large triage room within the unit has comfortable recliners—ideal for outpatient visits.
- Our lactation office is conveniently located right next to the new Obstetrics Unit.
- Special touches help to welcome family members and friends. A large family waiting area can be accessed by elevator from the ground floor, and patient rooms feature comfortable furniture for guests.
Options for Customizing Your Labor/Delivery
These choices are available to you when you have your baby at IVCH:
- Whirlpool tubs for relaxation during labor.
- Walking during labor.
- Epidural analgesia for labor.
- Spinal/epidural anesthesia for c-sections.
- Your coach present during labor or c-section.
- VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) with physician approval.
- During the important "golden hour" after birth, interruptions are minimized so that you have time to nurture and bond with your baby.
An Exciting New Birthing Option
A nice soak in a warm bath is a great remedy for tension and pain. And now it’s an effective therapeutic option for women giving birth at IVCH. Learn more about water births at IVCH.
Personal Tours Available
Contact the nurses’ station to ask about taking a personal tour of our obstetrics unit. Call 815.780.3443.
Visiting hours for OB patients are 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Visiting hours may be limited depending upon the patient's condition, hygiene needs, and breastfeeding schedule. An adult must accompany siblings of the newborn while they are visiting the hospital, and visitors must wash hands prior to having contact with the infant. Family and visitors are expected to abide by conduct that is supportive of the hospital environment.
If you're planning to visit one of our new moms in the IVCH Obstetrics Unit, please park in the south parking lot. Enter the hospital through the ground level entrance on the east side of the building. Once through the entrance, turn right and take the elevator to the third floor where the door will open to the obstetrics unit waiting room.