Donate & Volunteer
Donate & Volunteer
IVCH has an immediate need for volunteers in these areas:
We need Red Coats!
Red Coats are essentially the escorts of the hospital. Red Coats are responsible for the safe, effective and timely transporting of patients, specimens, supplies and paperwork between departments.
- Retired or semi-retired
- Physical ability to walk extensively, stand and push wheel chairs
- Friendly, out-going, mature, positive oriented individual
- Fluent English, bilingual skills helpful but not necessary
- Flexibility assuming different roles
- Provide comfort for patients and families in areas of responsibility
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Transporting patients to and from rooms and departments
- Transporting specimens from nursing departments to the laboratory
- Transporting paperwork and supplies between departments
- Providing information to visitors
- Answering telephone and logging requests
- Being a friendly smile to welcome people to the hospital
- Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Current shifts available are 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Flexible scheduling according to the volunteer’s preferences
If you are interested in volunteering as a Red Coat, or for more information, email Jackie Barr at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815.780.3337.
The Joint Replacement Center
- Weekdays: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 1 to 4 p.m.
- Once or twice a week
Help joint patients with group therapy, assist with group lunch, prepare therapy equipment for patients, assist therapists and staff with transferring patients to and from group therapy room
Obstetrics Unit Waiting Room
- Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.; 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.; 4 to 8 p.m.
- Weekends: morning, afternoon and evening shifts available.
The obstetrics unit is a locked unit. Volunteers staff a waiting room desk and admit visitors who want to see patients.
Weekdays: 4 to 7 p.m.
Transport patients, deliver specimens and paperwork throughout the hospital, answer the telephone and log requests, provide information to visitors and patients.
Daily: 4 to 8 p.m.
High school and college students can assist the ER staff by helping to make family members comfortable, cleaning exam rooms, answering call lights and transporting patients by wheelchair to other departments.
IVCH Auxiliary members staff the hospital gift shop, organize fundraisers and provide clerical help for hospital activities. The Auxiliary has monthly meetings (September through May) at 10:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday of each month.
Gift shop shifts are available on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 1 to 4:30 p.m.
The "Red Coats" help transport patients and make deliveries between hospital departments. Shifts are available mornings and afternoons each weekday.
Other Adult Volunteers
Adults who have daytime jobs but who still want to volunteer at IVCH can join the hospital's special evening program. Shifts are available from 4 to 7 p.m.
Students age 15 and older work with patients on the nursing floors. Flexible hours, including weekends are available.
Students age 14 and older can perform clerical duties for various departments within the hospital. Available shifts are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Volunteers are a key component in the delivery of services provided by Illinois Valley Hospice, the IVCH department that cares for terminally ill patients in their homes.
For information about Auxiliary, volunteer escorts, other adult volunteers and volunteens call Jackie Barr, IVCH volunteer service coordinator, at 815.780.3387 or email Jackie.Barr@ivch.org.
For information about Illinois Valley Hospice volunteers, call the hospice office at 815.224.1307 or email Linda Pinn at email@example.com.