Donate & Volunteer
IVCH has an immediate need for volunteers in these areas:
We need Red Coats!
Red Coats are essentially the escorts of the hospital. Red Coats are responsible
for the safe, effective and timely transporting of patients, specimens,
supplies and paperwork between departments.
- Retired or semi-retired
- Physical ability to walk extensively, stand and push wheel chairs
- Friendly, out-going, mature, positive oriented individual
- Fluent English, bilingual skills helpful but not necessary
- Flexibility assuming different roles
- Provide comfort for patients and families in areas of responsibility
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Transporting patients to and from rooms and departments
- Transporting specimens from nursing departments to the laboratory
- Transporting paperwork and supplies between departments
- Providing information to visitors
- Answering telephone and logging requests
- Being a friendly smile to welcome people to the hospital
- Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Current shifts available are 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Flexible scheduling according to the volunteer’s preferences
If you are interested in volunteering as a Red Coat, or for more information,
call Carolynn Freed at 815.780.3387 or e-mail
Complete and submit a volunteer application today.
The Joint Replacement Center
- Weekdays: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 1 to 4 p.m.
- Once or twice a week
Help joint patients with group therapy, assist with group lunch, prepare
therapy equipment for patients, assist therapists and staff with transferring
patients to and from group therapy room
Obstetrics Unit Waiting Room
- Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.; 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.; 4 to 8 p.m.
- Weekends: morning, afternoon and evening shifts available.
The obstetrics unit is a locked unit. Volunteers staff a waiting room desk
and admit visitors who want to see patients.
Transport patients, deliver specimens and paperwork throughout the hospital,
answer the telephone and log requests, provide information to visitors
High school and college students can assist the ER staff by helping to
make family members comfortable, cleaning exam rooms, answering call lights
and transporting patients by wheelchair to other departments.
IVCH Auxiliary members staff the hospital gift shop, organize fundraisers
and provide clerical help for hospital activities. The Auxiliary has monthly
meetings (September through May) at 10:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday of
- Gift shop shifts are available on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 1 to 4:30 p.m.
Other Adult Volunteers
Adults who have daytime jobs but who still want to volunteer at IVCH can
join the hospital's special evening program. Shifts are available
from 4 to 7 p.m.
Students age 15 and older work with patients on the nursing floors. Flexible
hours, including weekends are available.
Students age 14 and older can perform clerical duties for various departments
within the hospital. Available shifts are Monday through Friday from 7:30
a.m. to 4 p.m.
Volunteers are a key component in the delivery of services provided by
Illinois Valley Hospice, the IVCH department that cares for terminally
ill patients in their homes.
For information about Auxiliary, volunteer escorts, other adult volunteers
and volunteens call Carolynn Freed, IVCH volunteer service coordinator, at
815.780.3387 or email
For information about Illinois Valley Hospice volunteers, call the hospice